Concealed Carry Weapon License Requirements: must meet ALL requirements
California Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 provide that a Sheriff of a county or the Chief or other head of municipal police department of any city, or city and county, may issue a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person (Concealed Carry Weapon license).
Who May be Issued a License
The licensing authority specified in Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 may issue a license to persons who are of good moral character and meet residential requirements, and have completed a course of training. All applicants for a Concealed Carry Weapon license will be fingerprinted and state and federal records will be checked to determine if they are eligible to possess firearms. Click here to view all categories that would prohibit a person from possessing firearms and being granted a Concealed Carry Weapon license.
Prior to Filling Out This Application
Be prepared to provide the following;
- A copy of your valid identification card that contains your photograph.
- Proof of Residency: Copies of two (2) statements reflecting your name and permanent Imperial County residence address from one of the following service providers: Gas, Electric, Water, Home Internet/Cable, Waste, Mortgage, Rental Agreements and/or Property Tax Statements. Statements must be dated within the last 90 days. We DO NOT accept past due statements. We DO NOT accept any items other than those listed.
- Firearm safety and qualification certificates are required as part of the final phase, once application is approved
Military Veterans upload your DD214 form (Discharge document).
Active Military upload military orders within the County of Imperial County, valid Military identification card and valid California identification card
Certificates are only valid for 90 days from the date issued.
- The certificate documenting your completion of the State of California required firearms safety course from an approved CCW Instructor.
- Firearm qualification form (you must qualify with each gun to be listed on your CCW). A PC 832 certificate is acceptable (No more than 2 years old).
**Applicants who have failed to respond to requests, provide required documentation, inactivity, make required payment and/or finalize CCW application requirements within 45 days will forfeit any fees and application will be withdrawn.**
For New (Initial) CCW applications, you must also provide:
- For New (Initial) CCW Applications-Three (3) Character Reference Letters from individuals, other than relatives, that reside within the Imperial County. Each Character Reference Letter must include the current written date and the individual’s: name, home address, phone number and signature. Each Letter must also refer to the applicant by their full legal name, reference the individual’s relationship to the applicant and include a recommendation for the applicant in regards to obtaining a CCW Permit.
Completing the Application
Answering all the questions on this standard application does not guarantee the issuance of a Concealed Carry Weapon license. The determination whether to issue the license is at the discretion of the licensing authority.
The following pages include standardized questions that assist in the determination as to whether a Concealed Carry Weapon license may be issued. In addition to answering these questions, the applicant will be interviewed and go through a background investigation.
The applicant will certify under penalty of perjury that all answers provided in the application are true and correct to the best of their knowledge and belief. The applicant will also acknowledge that information disclosed on this application may be subject to public disclosure.
If applying for a NEW Concealed Carry Weapon license a course approved by the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office must be completed prior to permit issuance. This course will be a minimum of 8 hours.
If applying for a RENEWAL Concealed Carry Weapon license, a 4-hour course approved by the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office must be completed prior to permit issuance.
If applying for a MODIFICATION to your current Concealed Carry Weapon license that includes a firearm change, you will need to submit training certifications from a training vendor approved by the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office.
- For a list of training vendors approved by Imperial County Sheriff’s Office, Click Here
To view the full Imperial County Sheriff CCW Police, please click on this link to view the CCW POLICIES AND PROCEDURES